The Nebraska Gambler’s Assistance Program allows me to provide services free of charge to individuals struggling with a gambling addiction or their family members. This includes gambling evaluations to determine if you have a gambling problem or addiction; individual, family, couples, and group counseling. This is available for the individual struggling with gambling or their family members. The person gambling does not need to be present for counseling for others affected to receive help.
These services are also available via Telehealth.
In addition, I am able to provide education and outreach within the community to increase awareness of the negative impact that gambling can have.
Signs that you or a loved one may be struggling with a gambling addiction:
- Needing to gamble with more money to get the same excitement from gambling as before.
- Feels restless or irritable when trying to reduce or stop gambling.
- Keeps trying to reduce or stop gambling without success.
- Gambling is frequently on the person’s mind — both reliving past gambling experiences, and planning future gambling events.
- Gambles when feeling depressed, guilty or anxious.
- Tries to win back gambling losses.
- Lies to cover up how much they are gambling.
- Loses not only money, but also relationships, their job, or a significant career opportunity as a result of gambling.
- Becomes dependent on other people to give them money to deal with financial problems that have been caused by gambling.
Brief screening tool:
1) Have you ever felt the need to bet more and more money?
2) Have you ever had to lie to people important to you about how much you gambled?
If you answered yes to either of these questions, a gambling evaluation is recommended.
The Nebraska Gamblers Assistance Program (GAP) pays for confidential counseling with certified problem gambling providers to Nebraskans and their families who suffer a gambling addiction.
A list of all GAP-certified counselors in Nebraska is located at problemgambling.nebraska.gov
GAP 24/7 Helpline – Call 1-800-522-4700